Frequently asked questions
Is Diabesties an NGO?
- Diabesties is a Registered Public Trust under section
Does Diabesties give medical advise?
- No. We are an organization whose mission is to make Type 1 Diabetics feel supported, understood and celebrated. All our events and activities are to do with lifestyle, moral, social and mental support. However, we do have many doctors on our board of advisors whom we make referrals to.
Can I join Diabesties even if I’m not Type 1?
- Absolutely! The beauty about Diabesties is, that it’s a community for all those who support the mission. If you are a friend, know someone who is diabetic, family or just someone who is interested in the subject – feel free to participate in any of our activities and events.
Can I make a donation?
- Yes, Diabesties is a trust with 12AA and 80G Tax exemptions. Please email us if you would like to make a donation.
What is Type 1 Diabetes?
- Type 1 Diabetes otherwise known as Diabetes Mellitus is an auto-immune condition where the insulin producing beta cells of the pancreas no longer function. A person with T1D has to externally take insulin to survive. It is normally juvenile with no cause and no cure.
What is the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes?
- With type 2 diabetes, the pancreas usually makes some insulin. But either the amount made isn't enough for the body's needs, or the body's cells resist it. Type 1 Diabetes is Insulin Deficient, where as Type 2 is insulin Resistant.. Type 2 Diabetes is also known as a lifestyle disease whereas Type 1 is an autoimmune disease.
How to attend Diabesties Events?
- We normally post on our website well in advance and you can contact us or sign up directly from the website.